This one is my original. It started simply because I wanted baked beans for a BBQ gathering with friends but didn't have baked beans on hand. I used whatever beans I had and started adding seasoning...then, Viola! My 5-year-old loves them.
- 3 cans/pints of beans (Great Northern, Black beans, Red Kidney beans, Black Eye, etc.), rinsed and drained
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 lb. bacon, sliced to 1/4 inch strips
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped (or about 1 Tbsp chopped garlic in a jar)
- 2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup KC masterpiece BBQ sauce (I tried others, but KC does the best job)
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp real maple syrup
- salt and pepper to taste
Heat about 1 Tbsp of oil in a medium size pan over medium heat. Cook bacon strips for about 5 minutes to get grease out. Add garlic and onion. Cook another 5 minutes till onions are translucent. Add the rest of ingredients. Bring to boil. Turn the heat down to low, and simmer for about 45 minutes or till beans are tender and liquids are thickened. Salt and pepper to taste. Serve warm.